Friday, April 2, 2010

Wall Organizer (PB Knock off)




Rustic Wall OrganizerLove it...$149.00....can't have it....


Materials:
3'x 4' luan (cut at Home Depot)
1" x 2" pine cut into 2 pieces at 3' and 2 pieces at 4'
Burlap 11/2 yds
Cork to fit luan (I used  12-12"cork tiles at Walmart)
2 dowels cut to 3' each




First I glued cork tile and then burlap to the luan.
Next, the most time consuming, was the stenciling.
I used the cricut for the letters and numbers.
I free-handed the "Fragile"  and the rectangle.
The circle was my iced tea maker lid dipped in paint.
(Shhh..it came clean in the dishwasher!)



The 1' x 2' boards ( the 4'lengths) were drilled and rowdered  at 24" from the bottom on both sides and then 3 more sets each measuring  6" up from the one before.

Next I stained them, mitered them and had them stapled to the luan. The photo on the right shows how the dowel will rest.




Here is mine*








*disclaimer....this product is not finished, nor does this poster imply that it is*


This still needs the burlap bag made, the dowels stained and cut and hung on the wall (room not painted).

This is what I would do differently next time (next time ...is she crazy???)

Do not wash burlap fabric (old sewing rules...pre-wash all fabrics)
Use a better spray glue than Elmers.
Drill the holes at least 5/8" or slightly larger so you could use copper pipe instead of wooden dowels.
Attach the frame to the sides instead of stapling on top of the organizer because from the sides you see all the layers.


I have a little under $40  in materials for this. If you have any questions...let me know.
Deb

24 comments:

alice said...

Looks great so far! I bet the washer looked like yikes after washing the burlap!
smiles, alice

Mary said...

Seriously cute.

Casual (dash) Cottage said...

WOW!
That turned out pretty well, for a project that isn't finished!

I just wish my FINISHED projects looked 1/2 as good as your UN-finished ones do! ha!

Amy Kinser said...

Looks great!

Partying with you this weekend.

Happy Easter.

One Cheap B*tch said...

Looking good to me so far! I want that board so bad and hoping PB will put it on clearance soon as I don't think I'm brave enough to make my own.

Happy Easter - Jeanine

Kristi Flanagan said...

You're doing a great job! I'd like to invite you to come "plant your creative seed" at my blog party "Plant a Punkin Seed at Punkin Seed Productions". It's a party that usually happens on Fridays but its open all this week as I'm having a give away! Come sign up!

Kristi
Punkin Seed Productions

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Cool, and love your tips on what you'd do differently too. Very much so.

This PB object inspired my own twist of a kitchen organizer too. (the bed spring thing) :)

Donna

AtOneWithHim said...

What a great idea! I just need wall space... this darn house.

tales from an oc cottage said...

Fabulous!!!!

m ^..^

Nancy said...

So far, so good! You're gonna love it when you get it completely finished. It's great!

Nancy

fiberdoodles said...

What a great job! And I like the price A LOT better ;)

Anne said...

Yours looks great so far!

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

so far, so good! I think it will be delightfull! I hopped over from Twice Remembered and am so happy that I did. Please accept my invitation and drop in at my place one day this week when you get a moment. until later...

fairfieldhouse said...

This is my first time to your lovely blog via Twice Remembered. You did a wonderful job so far. I hope you post the finished project.

Deborah

Cindy said...

i love the chandelier in the first picture....oh, lordy do i love it......

cool project....cant wait to see it finished...

Kristin said...

I mentioned you guys on my blog today...go and check it out!
Kristin
peapodcreations.blogspot

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

It looks great--love the postmarks. I made a version of that too--you can see it here:
http://bec4-beyondthepicketfence.blogspot.com/2010/02/pb-inspired-bb-and-giveaway.html
Have a great day!
Becky

Karena said...

So glad to find you!Wow this will be a great tranformation at a great price!

Karena
Art by Karena

I have a fascinating interview with artist Robert Anders up on my site. Come follow!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

cute!! this is wonderful, thanks for the idea!

Prior said...

I'm loviin' it! Lezlee

JulieJ said...

We are big fans of your blog, that's why we gave you the Sunshine Award!!! Follow the link to check it out: http://gluegunsandspatulas.blogspot.com/2010/04/sunshine-award.html

Cindy said...

Oh my, I think it looks wonderful. I love so much of what PB has. You are doing a great job. Hugs, Cindy S

Shawn said...

Great job! I can't wait to see it completely finished!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

LOVE this project! Thanks for sharing.

Warmly, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...