Tuesday, March 16, 2010

All Things Rusted

So as I mentioned before we called my Mom "Goldfinger".... anything that didn't move was painted gold.  Yep.... child of the 60's and 70's (groovy) and the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

My color of choice 'Rusted Metal Patina' (haven't seen it in the Crayola box yet.) 



Can't always find the perfect rust so here is how I fake it: 




I use these 2 products: Sophisticated Finishes. I get mime at Michael's or Robert's Craft (Utah). Make sure you used your 40% coupons. They also have copper and other metal finishes.  You need both bottles.




For the switch plate covers I lightly sanded the plastic. Wipe the dust off and dry. Next paint the switch plate cover with this:       
























It has real iron filings in it. Let dry and paint a second coat. I also did the screws.         


















 Then paint this on and watch the rusting begin.  


 No two items have turned out the same which makes it soooo fun. When it is completely dry I seal it with a matte sealer. The sealer will darken the finish and tone down the orange.


 My switch plate covers are about 4-5 years old and have held up really well.








 Here are some other things I used my 'Rustfinger' on: 
The top photo is the backside. This had hideous blue and gold plastic beads.  I changed the beads to wooden ones and used jute to hang it with.




I got this plastic P when our local Walmart was being remodeled. It was part of the "One Hour Photo' sign. Now I wonder why I didn't take all the letters!!!!!


This mirror had a golden bronze finish....couldn't leave it be!!!!  
So go forth and let the Rusting begin.....my Mom will be so proud!!!

17 comments:

TheSmithHotel said...

Oh My! I will have to be on the look out for letters and do the rust treatment on them! Love it!


Rust makes me happy,

Jody

Jennie said...

OOOOO...I have been waiting for you to post how you do this! Thanks, can't wait to try it out!

Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

Formerly-Corn in My Coffee Pot said...

oh wow! what will they think of next.
faux rust!
that is so cool.

thanks for showing this. I should get some and try it... if I do I'll be sure and post about it

Roar! said...

Well done, Rustfinger!

Laura PARING DOWN said...

Now that is cool! Instant patina!!!

Kelsey said...

WOW I love this!!! I will be doing this to all my switch plate covers and a mirror in my hallway! You are a genius!!!

jmquilts said...

I love rust too. Never knew about this pair of products!! Thanks!! :)

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

In rust we trust baby! Good to know this product works well.

Shel at Dreamy Nest said...

Very cool! I have a few projects where "rusting" may come in handy. Thank you for sharing this.

Cindy said...

Wow, those look so great. My hubby would never let me use rusty looking things in the house, but i can admire them from afar, can't I?! Love them! Hugs, Cindy S.

Its So Very Cheri said...

I would love to schedule you in to do a tutorial for my Thursday TUTES. E-mail me--cheri@itssoverycheri.com

I am letting everyone know that I have moved my blog to my new site www.itssoverycheri.com
I need to ask you, to please go over and RE-SIGN up to follow me over there. Google won't let you take your Followers with you so you are no longer getting my info in your reader, unless you have gone over and signed up. Sorry if you have already done so, I am trying to go back and forth between both blogs as well as my new e-mail and my old e-mail.
I have lots of fun things going on over at the new blog, so I hope you will hop on over and check it all out.

I also have a new give-a-way going on.
Cheri www.itssoverycheri.com

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

This is an awesome technique to know. I will feature this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

concretenprimroses said...

I have made faux rust with paint before with mixed success. This is "real" rust so more reliable. I've never seen that brand here in NH but I can probably find something. I can't wait to try it. Thanks!
Kathy

Julie@ Glue Guns and Spatulas said...

Thanks for the tip! Very informative.

AtOneWithHim said...

Oh thats so .cool. Thanks, I'm going to try it

Brandy Bailey said...

I love your rusting!! Why do we so love new things to look old?? Your blog is so great, lots of very doable ideas!! Thanks for all of your hard work!

all thingz related said...

LOVE it! My favorite is the light switch cover! WOW!
~Bridgette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...