Friday, February 26, 2010

Leftovers (plastic bag holder)

I saw something like this in the Ballard's catalog....it was $200....might as well been huh!!!! Here is mine made with LEFTOVERS....
One LEFTOVER piece of fabric cut 16" by whatever length you want your bag holder to be plus 4" extra for hems.

I used my cricut to make my stencil. I used LEFTOVER acrylic paint with fabric medium added (so it could be washed) to paint my stencil.  Next I sewed the 16" sides  right sides together to form a tube.  Turn the tube right side out. Fold the top of the tube over and press. Fold over again to make the hem. I top stitched all round the top where the fold is. Then I stitched all around where the hem is and left a gap. Do the same on the bottom of the tube.
Next I cut off the waistband of my LEFTOVER panty  hoes (with runs...yeah I know...I still wear them to church) and used this for the elastic. I got 2 pieces....chunky size hoes pays off!!!! Thread the elastic through the the gap in the hems using a safety pin. Stitch the ends of the elastic together and sew the gap in the hems closed.
I braided LEFTOVER jute to make a hanger and sewed it on the top at the back.







Now I have a dispenser for my LEFTOVER plastic bags !!!!!!!!!

This project is featured at:

16 comments:

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Great looking leftovers. I loved that you used your pantyhose--too funny!

Just Rhonda said...

Great idea!!!!! (i love that you used pantyhose too!)

Cindy said...

Wow, you made that with left overs and Pottery Barn wanted $200 for something like that! Yours is probably prettier and will last longer, I'm sure!
Hugs, Cindy S.

Destination Seaborn said...

You know I've been wanting one of these for awhile. Never thought of using pantyhose. Thanks! Lisa

Remodelaholic said...

It is a good way to corral those bags, and it looks great! Good job!

Thanks for linking up, I hope to see you again soon!

bj said...

This is pretty much just plain AWESOME. sO SO cute!
You are so talented and you are teaching me how to do things I thought I could never do and...I am proof that "you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!!"
xo bj

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Good job!!!!

SweetMelissa said...

I've been thinking about making one of these for years...now I just don't even have an excuse, I'd better get to it! Your's is adorable...LOVE IT!!!

Hey, hop over, we're having a giveaway...

Missy-JunkFest

Stephanie Lynn said...

Ahh! Love it! Crazy thing is I just made one of these using a MS pattern out of a dish towel!!! Your is so much more inventive than mine plus I had to use someone elses pattern {not my own} and my didn't involve the talented use of pantyhose...love the stencil too!

Jenn said...

I definitely need one of these! Great project!!

kim said...

That is great. I sure could use one of those.

simple~needs said...

love it!!
also got a good laugh about the "chunky size hoes(instead of hose) pays off".. teehee.
it works either way for me.....
being a little chunky always pays off........ rotfl

One Cheap B*tch said...

That is too cute and so practical!

Lisa B. said...

OMG! $200? I bet they have a bunch of those "leftover"! I have one I bought for $1 at one of the dollar stores and let me say, it's ugly! So ugly I dont use it. BUT you have inspired me to make one myself and I have the perfect spot to hang it. Now those bags will quit falling out of the cabinet when I open it. Thank you.

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

That is so great! I love it when you can knock off something in the Ballard or PB catalog. Yours looks great. I have a super ugly bag holder I bought a long time ago. I'm going to go through my fabric pile and see what I can find.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Very handy and cute idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...