Thursday, January 21, 2010

Shipboard Planking Part 2

So.... I finished my "DIY" planking! For those of you who missed part 1, it's actually just that 70's paneling turned sideways :)
 Along with my reveal I am going to give a brief tutorial.  Sooooo if you would like a more detailed explanation feel free to click on the Reach Us tab :)



I bought 2 sheets of that 70's show paneling. I decided on the one with the different sized "planks". it was $14.58 for one 4x8 section.


He used a fancy work saw but he said that the exacto knife worked just as well if not better. Just score where you want to cut (push extra hard) and then break the piece off. OR use a fancy saw :)




If you have 2 corners that will meet up, slide this corner rail on for a nice clean finish (cuz the edges are not clean FYI) They can be cut to size and just slide right on! We used them for our corner and our outside ends and then painted right over them.

Oh... and FYI your panel will be 4 ft high + the height of your trim. I wanted mine higher so I hung it at the height I wanted and then added an extra "plank" on the bottom (leftover from the other piece.)

Ready for the reveal?! ......

TA DA!
Not too shabby if I do say so myself.


Recognize the clock? It's a knock off I made from the Pottery Barn Spring 2010 catalog. (hanging on the wall in one of the living rooms) I'll be posting the tutorial within the next few days. It was super easy :)


12 comments:

Kelly said...

Looks fantastic! Thanks for visiting my blog and now I'm following yours as well. Loved peeking around all of your great archives!

Dawn said...

WOW! Who would have ever thunk it!??!?! I love it! (And can't wait to see the clock details too!)

Miss Obara said...

That is a GREAT idea! Dang, why doesn't my hubby think of things like this to gift?!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

Wow! I need that kind of guy for my birthday! Do you loan him out?! Ha!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

and I am going to feature this, if that is ok!

Lindsey said...

That is awesome :) I need to show my carpenter husband this!!

dee dee said...

Great idea! Dee Dee

Wendy said...

This turned out great! Never would have thought to use the 70's paneling! Happy belated Birthday:)

Taija said...

Wow this looks awesome! I cannot wait to see your tutorial on the clock.

De Javu Crafts said...

I love this idea....and YOUR Clock...i hope you do post it soon cause i am wanting to make this PRONTO!! i think your blog is so great...stop by mine if you have a chance...
dejavucrafts.blogspot.com
Amanda

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

This is fabulous! I can't wait for your clock tutorial & I signed up to be a follower. Just discovered you via Finding Fabulous. Wanted to let you know that the links to your site in the Finding Fabulous feature post weren't working--had to find you through Google.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...