Monday, January 18, 2010

Shipboard Planking Part 1

So I have a confession. I LOVE Shipboard Planking!!!
[ horizontally planked walls for those of you who don't know what that is ]

don't worry. I didn't know what it was called either until a few weeks ago when I couldn't get any good inspirational pictures from typing "horizontal planks" in the google machine. After MUCH searching and word manipulating I finally figured it out, and from then on it was happy sailing...  pun intended :)]

So.... now the question arises; "How do I put THAT on MY rental walls?!?" I want no, NEED to have it!
The answer? That ugly panneling from the 70's.... turned SIDEWAYS!!



Here it is hung up on my wall.
We used just a few nails [into studs] to keep it sturdy and flush but also not too many for easy removal when we part ways with our apt in a few years. We'll just have to fill in a few holes like any other picture hung on a wall... no biggie :)




I Nailed up a 1x4 board ontop to hide the seem, and added a "shelf" ontop of that.
I primed and painted it white and am now in the process of putting the finishing touches into my new dining room!

The final reveal will be Wednesday [or Thursday should my accessories not cooperate in which case I'm giving myself an extra day to perfect it].... Stay tuned!!


5 comments:

Michelle@Sweet Something said...

Awesome! Can't wait to see the end result!

Destination Seaborn said...

That's so funny, I love this stuff and used it in my house too! I always call it "trailer paneling" because older trailers used it instead of drywall. Can't wait to see your dining room! Do you mind if I spotlight your blog on mine? Drop by and let me know! Lisa

dee dee said...

Hey I found you from Lisa's site. I'm a follower now, great Ideas so far!... Dee Dee

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

So that's what it's called! Huh. Had no idea! We used it in our upstairs half-ish bath remodel...but your idea sounds even easier!

Stephanie Lynn said...

Love love love it! So simple yet who would have thought to turn it sideways! Looks fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...