Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pottery Barn Clock

OK... so I want to know WHY is it that all the cool stuff in Pottery Barn is never for sale? You know those neat little treasures you see on the coffee tables or on the walls in the background..... [not that I could afford it anyway] BUT STILL it's like a mean tease!


When I saw this clock on the wall I KNEW I had to have one!




Soooo... much to my hubby's dismay, I started yet another project and left my many unfinished projects to sit and mingle while I worked on this one. [This happens to me a lot! I'm what I like to call, a starter/stopper- I start one project and then stop it [unfinished] and then hop on to another one, and then back to my previous one.] Drives hubby NUTS

anyways... back to the post




FIRST I went down to my local LOWES and got a 4x4 board cut down to 32"x32". Pick any size... just make sure it's a square. Board MUST be square or your circle (which must touch all 4 edges) will not be a circle, it will be an oval. FYI
Price: $12


Next I primed it with a creamy white and the white washed the top very lightly so the cream would still show through in spots.
(I used watered down white paint)



For the rest of the piece I used the following supplies:
a rusty red paint
a canary yellow paint
an antiquing glaze (very important. MUST be a glaze)
a knife
a rag
a cup of water



First I stabbed/picked holes randomly around the whole piece especially around the corners. I put some close together so as not to make it look like a pattern or intentional
I found my center and stabbed a large hole (where the hands would have been centered). I made the hole larger then the others.
(my camera broke when I was in the middle of this project so I'm showing you how I did the holes on my finished clock by just adding another hole. FYI :] )

Then I dabbed my rag in the paints, not really mixing them together on the plate. This way if it was too red or too yellow I could just add a bit more. After dabbing the rag in the paint, I dabbed the rag with the paint still on into water to water it down a bit so it wouldn't be so stark and be more plyable on the wood.


then I simply went around and "rusted" all the holes by dabbing them with this paint solution. I rubbed it into the hole really well and then just barely around it.  I also "rusted" the large crack in the clock and the corners.

Then I went and put a bit of the glaze, also watered down, onto the rag and then wiped it over all the corners, edges, the center hole, and rusted areas. I also wiped it in and around the entire clock to age it a bit.
It's important to use the glaze because it will wipe off ENTIRELY if you mess up.... and leave NO TRACE it was ever there. I was really able to perfect my clock by using the glaze and not black paint.

Then I traced a large circle all the way around the clock and took a paintbrush and filled it in with the glaze paint (this time not watered down)
I traced the circle by insterted a pin into the exact center of the wood. Then I tied a string to the pin, and the other end of the string to my pencil. I made sure that the string was exactly long enough to let my pencil barely touch the edge. Then I just moved my pencil all the way around and it formed a perfect circle

Next I stenciled on all the numbers... again with the glaze.
I cut out my stencils onto paint chips using an exacto knife (if only I had a cricuit!) I traced an X, a V, and an I onto 3 seperate paint chips and with that combination made all the 12 numbers.
Then I sanded the finished clock down a bit, especially the numbers and circle to age them a bit

And there ya have it!

here's a close up of the original:

 

and here's my attempted version
with poor lighting :)





wanna see a cool [if not waaaay better than mine] version of this clock using sheet metal?
hop on over to My Dear Trash!!

oh!!! and we are guest posting over at SOMEDAY CRAFTS today and tomorrow!! We've got another Pottery Barn tutorial [Roman Numerals] over there so go check it out!
Photobucket

We heart Someday Crafts :)

Here's a sneek peek. GO OVER TO HER BLOG to see the full tutorial




Pottery Barn Party at the Shabby Chic Cottage
Blue Cricket Design- Show and Tell Wednesday
Somewhat Simple- strut your stuff Thursday
Miss Mustard Seed









68 comments:

De Javu Crafts said...

i have checked your blog like 5 times today and finally i get to see your clock...IT looks SO good....i have everything to make this (even a cricut)lol! NOt bragging..
Thanks so much for sharing...You will have to check my blog this next week to see mine..
THANKS!
amanda

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Wow! That is excellent! You are so darn crafty!!

Frugal Home Design said...

That looks awesome. Great Job.

Nancy said...

That is beyond cool! Excellent job...I like it better than PB's!!

Nancy

Heidi@TheCraftMonkey said...

that's pretty awesome, I'm going to have this to my never ending list of to do's. oh, and I'm a starter/stopper too!!

Kaysi said...

WOW!!! You did a great job, I love it!!

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

You did a wonderful job! It came out uber fabulous! Love it!

Cheers!
Tina

PlantSomeRoots@Lakewood said...

This is so absolutely cool...
Cindy at Lakewood

atbquilting said...

The clock is great! It would be fun to add the hands back in and have a working clock.

I'm a starter/stopper, too. I just say the project hasn't aged appropriately, yet.

Kelly said...

You did a fantastic job, I love it. I was just eyeing this up in the catalog the other day!

Brittany@Superwoman said...

Wow! I want one!

Bird said...

Soooo inspiring!! I came over from Someday Craft..and I'm staying!!

BTW I am having a fabulous Le Creuset cookware GIVEAWAY worth $66.95!!!

For details see:

http://birdcrafts.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-celebration-and-le-creuset.html

And good luck!! :)

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

NICE JOB!!! That is FABULOUS!!

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

HOLY TOLEDO! Email me, we gotta talk!!!

Marianne@Songbird said...

Wow, that is a project to go in my keeper file! Love everything about it!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

That clock is just 2DIE4!!! Great job!

pk @ Room Remix said...

I LOVE it! Loved the roman numerals too but I commented on them at Someday Crafts instead of here originally. Great job on both!

Cassie said...

Holy! This is incredible....mind if I copy?

Laurie at The Turner Farm said...

reading your post made me laugh out loud. As soon as I saw that clock in the PB catalog, I wanted to create it. My daughter called me up and said the same thing. A few years ago, I would of stopped the project I was working on and jumped right into a new one..so funny! Moving to the farm, slowed me down and I now, complete a project then move on. I still have 100+ to do. YOUR CLOCK IS AMAZING! LOVE! Thanks for sharing. Actually going to try your rusting technique on my present project. Hope to have this one done by the weekend. Turned into a much bigger than expected... had to have engineer husband get involved...

bec4 said...

This is so awesome, I want to copy it!

Aja said...

Ahh! I have been drooling over that clock for sooo long!! Thanks for the tutorial- I will definitely be making this! Great job!!

Sheri said...

Wow! That looks great, I would lvoe it leaning against a wall or something. Oh boy! LOL I have an idea for a new craft!

One Cheap B*tch said...

All I can say is wow! Wait, I'll say it again - WOW!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

I'll be making one of these too. I've got the perfect spot for it in the sunroom. Thanks so much for sharing.

Caroline said...

That looks great!! I am really want to try it now!!

It's amazing how you can find people who seem to be long lost twins...Love the blog world! It's great to meet you!

Dawn said...

I love it, I love it, I love it!!!

I'm adding this one to my to-do list as well!!!

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

Add me to the list of people who spotted that clock in the PB catalog and decided they NEEDED one! About 10 days ago, I even wrote a post on my blog about how much I loved it and would like to attempt to make one. One of my sweet readers tipped me off that you were planning a tutorial soon so I've been anxiously waiting to see your interpretation. I love it and have saved the link because this project is definitely going on my "to do" list! But, as I mentioned on my blog, I think my husband would like for me to buy some furniture for the family room first...before I start accessorizing. Lol.

Hattie said...

It looks awesome! I love it :-)

Red said...

I so agree! Why do they have so many accessories they don't sell?!!

Love your clock, you did a great job.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Barbara Jean said...

Your clock is wonderful!
I will need to read it more thoroughly now.
Like how you did the numbers. Awesome!!

By the way, I am a starter/stopper too. Our projects just cannot keep up with our creative minds.

So glad I found you. Awesome blog!

blessings

barbara jean

Stephanie said...

I absolutely LOVE it!!

Stephanie said...

I absolutely LOVE it!!

~ RM said...

Ahem,... *followed!!*

I am SO glad I found your site!! I fell in love with this PB clock, too- love your rendition! Going to check out more... Thanks for sharing your 'rusty' secret! (Who knew it was that easy??)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Goodness - now that is awesome!

Lisa said...

I've been thinking of trying my hand at making one of these. Yours turned out so great!!!!

Paula Grace Designs said...

That is beautiful! You made it look so easy. I can see that hanging in so many places! Thanks for coming by!
Paula Grace ~

Rue said...

Fantastic! I'm amazed at how much it looks like the original :)

rue

Aimee said...

That is unbelieveable! Really, you did an amazing job...

simple~needs said...

i love, love , love your blog( and the clock)!!!
good gosh you are creative!!
i just discovered the place(online)- pottery barn
( yes, i know i must have been living in a cave) lol
they got some cool items but geez, so pricey!! glad to know i can stop by,visit you and learn how to be a little more creative.
kim

Heather@ theherberfamily.blogspot.com said...

It turned out great!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back next week to see which links from this week are featured, and to add your new links!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I just found your blog today and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that you made the Pottery Barn clock! I have been thinking about how I was going to make one for myself. I appreciate the tips on how you made the rusty nail marks! Anyway, great job here. I hope mine turns out as great as yours did.

this blessed nest said...

i swear to you - i was just dreaming about this clock over a bagel this morning! had the PB catalog out & was thinking how much i loved this piece.

beautiful job! i am book marking this for sure.
thanks! hey, maybe "day dreams" can come true. ;)

The Persimmon Perch said...

You read my mind; the "extras" are always the best part. Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

Stephanie Lynn said...

Seriously - LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It's amazing and I want one! Can't wait to check out your other things - I have been away for awhile and ned to catch up! Oh did I mention this was GORGEOUS!

Sherri@lavenderfields said...

Wow! GOOD For YOU! That turned out awesome! I love it!

Sabrina said...

Great copy! And you cut out your own stencils?? Way to be frugal AND crafty!

Sheri@childmade.com said...

Yours looks great! Fabulous job! Thanks for sharing! I've posted a link.

Patti said...

incredible job on the clock...thanks for sharing the "how to"

LauraBeth said...

That is too cool, and it turned out GREAT - good job!

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

T too eyeballed that clock. I am sooo going to make this! And feature you on my blog tomorrow. So very creative! Thanks for sharing today. Thank you also for linking up to Thrifty Thursday!
~Hugs~
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

Or maybe I can buy one from you? LOVE IT!

linda said...

Way to go girl! You've got some serious craft skills!

Erin A said...

Can I ask what kind of wood you used? I was all over Lowes last night, the best I could find was particle board, and I wasn't loving that. The widest piece of wood was 24" and I really want a big square, 36" if I can. I've been dying to do this!! Thanks!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

It looks really good! A lot of bloggers took notice of that block face. :) It is a very cool piece and an easy one to reproduce.

Carole said...

I've always wanted to make a 'clock' like this. Maybe I'll have to finally get with it.

Maybe I'll even add a working mechanism. Hmmmm....

Anonymous said...

[... ] is other nice source on this issue[...]

Anonymous said...

very useful read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

sanjeet said...

You are so darn crafty!!

Domain registration india

Cherie said...

Candy sent me your way. What a wonderful project!!!!

Porch Days said...

You did a great job on the clock face and inexpensively to boot. Can't wait to see what you do next!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Clara & Msrcella sent us your way - what a great project...we even like it better than PB!

Halo Hill said...

Wow, awesome!! I love it, and I am SO glad I found you!

Thank you and Big Hugs,

Sheila

bj said...

WHOA...this is fantastic. I just love it!!
I also signed up to follow..:O)

Gretchen said...

Love this post! Fabulous job on the clock.
You are not alone with the project start and stopping, nor are you alone where it drives your hubby nuts. I'm so thankful you posted this, as my dh thinks its only me. lol If only he knew...
Gretchen
http://mimitoriasdesigns.blogspot.com

Erin A said...

I just wanted to let you know that I made myself a PB knock off as well, thanks so much for the inspiration!! It's not as good as yours, but close enough to keep me appeased :) Thanks again!!

http://lemontreecreations.blogspot.com/2010/04/vintage-clock-face.html

Inspire Me Heather said...

Great post and excellent tutorial! I linked this to my clocks project post today too, well done!

{twenty}something said...

Hey - I have had this in my archives for months now. I believe that this weekend is the weekend for me to "do work"! I hope mine turns out as well as yours. Would you measure your numbers and tell me how tall they are? I am going to do your 32"x32" and want mine to look balanced. Thanks! Heather @ twentysomethingtransue.blogspot.com and twentysomethingtransue@gmail.com

{twenty}something said...

Hey - I finished my clock! Thanks for the inspiration and the tutorial!! http://twentysomethingtransue.blogspot.com/2011/05/knock-off-pottery-barn-clock.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...